Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Battery Crust

  1. #1
    Inactive Member WiggumZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 10th, 2001
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Red face

    I did a stupid thing and left batteries in a camera I kept stored for a while. Now I've got some battery "crust" in the socket. How can I safely clean this gunk off the battery contacts?
    Thanks!
    Sean

  2. #2
    Inactive Member pcg's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 28th, 2000
    Posts
    204
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Nigel's on it. That's the simply & effective way. Car part places also sell small metal brushes that are designed for that purpose. When you finish cleaning the contact, a small drop of machine oil will prevent future oxidation...

    /Pat

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sure, I don't know how the proper way to do it is. But, I recently tried to use my very first Super8 camera--which had the same problem. I just took an old toothbrush and brushed it, then I took a nail file and roughed up the contacts a bit and it worked fine. Good Luck

  4. #4
    Inactive Member #Pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2000
    Posts
    266
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    In car accessorary shops you will find small nylon brushes which are used to repair small damages. Such a brush don?t hurt the metal surface of the contacts. If you use metallic tools, the contact will oxidy in a short time. After cleaning it, use special contact grease, as used for car batteries.
    If you don?t succeed a save battery contact afterwards, wrap the contact with aluminium paper.
    Pedro.
    Pedro.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Harris521's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2023
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Battery Crust

    A battery crust refers to the build-up of corrosion or sediment that can form on battery terminals or the surface of a battery over time. In the context of 48v golf cart batteries this crust often results from the chemical reactions that occur as the battery discharges and charges. This corrosion can lead to poor electrical contact, causing power issues and reducing the battery's lifespan. Regular maintenance, including cleaning terminals and ensuring the battery is properly charged, can help prevent the formation of a battery crust. Keeping the terminals clean ensures optimal performance and extends the life of the battery.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •